Monday, June 30, 2008
Even though there are food that I certainly would not eat (again), I don't actually consider myself a picky eater.
For me, there's food, and there's FOOD!!! The latter makes your eyes sparkle, your tummy rumble and your saliva glands go into hyperdrive. So what falls into the FOOD!!! category:1. Fresh sashimi.
While I'll eat sushi, I get ecstatic when I'm faced with screamingly fresh sashimi. I love my sashimi. Salmon, tuna, swordfish, mackerel, octopus, ark shell... bring them on! I also love "local" sashimi or umai. Basically, it's slices of raw fish/prawns marinated with lime juice and fresh cut chili. And I only like my umai raw. Once the seafood has been thoroughly "cooked" by the acidic juices of the lime, I don't want it.2. Pizza with truffle oil.
3. Sago worms.
Late one night at Seattle, Miss Thongs
and I ordered some pizza with truffle oil from Ristorante Beccari. When I saw the word "truffle", I was immediately possessed by my inner food snob and I knew there and then that I just HAD to order it. I don't quite remember how much it cost (less than RM50, more than RM20) but just for some magical truffle (and it's just the oil we're talking about here) it's worth the illusion of luxury. LOL.
I love sago worms,
They don't wriggle in my tummy,
Fried with kicap and chili,
They're so very yummy.
Ok, next please.4. Kasam babi
I tried kasam babi for the very first time on Saturday night. It's basically raw wild boar meat preserved with salt and rice and left to ferment in a jar for six months or more (the Bidayuh version). From what I heard, it's a highly acquired taste, but I loved it from the first whiff. It smells slightly durian-y, and the taste... oh gawd... it's like a perfect harmony of salty and sour and at that moment, you've never felt prouder of yourself. What are the odds of a contestant on Fear Factor having to drink a vile concoction of rotting squid and worm juice, and actually loving it? It's the same feeling when eating kasam babi, except that it's a zillion times better than whatever they're serving on Fear Factor.
Posted by Hedonistics Anonymous :: 3:31 am ::
Of dogs, hamsters and tearjerkers
Guess what, I don't want a Moleskine anymore. Yes, I'm an incorrigible fickle-minded female. (Sorry Jass, I hope you haven't made the hike to Kino yet)
Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, guess what again? Remember Bobby, the dog my parents never had? He's moving in with us next week! His owner wanted to hand him over to us tonight, but unfortunately we haven't made any preparations yet, so it will have to be next week. In the meantime, my father is getting his friend to install a shelter and a baby gate at the back of the house, so Bobby will have a deluxe L-shaped concrete run.
I told Bella that when Bobby arrives, she'll no longer be the Most Beloved Pet in the house.
Me: Poor Bella, you'll be relegated to second-class member of the family next week.
Mother: No lah, she wouldn't.
Me: *whispers to Bella* Don't you believe a word she say, she's obviously lying.
I'm currently reading P.S. I Love You. I loved the movie. It's so freaking sad.
Me: Ma, the husband is so sweet horh? After he died he still managed to send the wife to Ireland for holiday.
Me: If it was Daddy, where do you think he'll send you?
Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HE'LL SEND YOU TO SIBU!!!!!!
Posted by Hedonistics Anonymous :: 2:22 am ::
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Happiness is a myth
Right now all I can think of is that I want a Moleskine sketchbook. Will somebody PLEASE run to Kinokuniya and get me either a Moleskine watercolor notebook or a Moleskine sketchbook? They're priced at RM55.46 each.
Yes, I'll bear the cost of the sketchbook, plus postage. I could order direct from Kino, but their postage charge to East M'sia is bloody ridiculous.
I don't know how I've convinced myself that I'll die without a Moleskine.
Can you tell that I'm so fucking unhappy at the moment?
And I would appreciate it very much if nobody send me comments to cheer me up, because it'll only make me feel like a total bitch. You're only allowed to comment if:
- You're willing to help me get my Moleskine.
- You're willing to GIFT me a Moleskine.
- You're not commenting about me at all. Feel free to rant about the govt, price hikes, your pets etc, but NOTHING work-related please.
Posted by Hedonistics Anonymous :: 11:31 pm ::
Thursday, June 19, 2008
I'm still here
Been doing OT till 7-8pm on weekdays, hence the lack of blog updates, dates, yumchar sessions etc. And this will go on for 2 months or more and by the time this ends, I'll forget what it used to be when I had a life.
1. I'm beginning to hate high heels. Okay, I hate high heels. Especially when I'm walking alone back to my car at night. And no, my car is not parked in the basement of my office building. Instead it's located across the busy main road and I have to walk pass a small dark jungle-y section to reach the carpark. And every time I have to walk alone at night, I get visions of being robbed and when I make a police report, the police will be sniggering at me for being stupid enough to wear high heels.
2. I don't drink alcohol because I've got zero alcohol tolerance. There, I've said it. But I've never tasted any form of alcohol which I liked enough to attempt to build up my tolerance. Beer is bitter. Wine is sour (except for sweet white). Tequila reminds me of lab alcohol. And everything else in between tastes like cough syrup to me.
3. I started smoking because I wanted to prove to myself that nicotine is not addictive. 6 years later and I'm still not contented with the results.
4. Sex is most fun when you're single and available. If you're not, then it's overrated.
5. Hamsters rank higher than dogs on the cuteness scoreboard. I've seen ugly dogs but I've never seen ugly hamsters. It helps that all hamsters look alike too.
6. I wish that Aaron will go back to Australia faster because he's such a clingy little bitch and he doesn't understand that people have to work everyday and doesn't have the energy to go out every night. And he's like the world's most horrible doctor. But I know that when he goes back I'll miss him heaps.
I fell sick two days ago and slept the day away. It was probably the closest I came to pampering myself.
Posted by Hedonistics Anonymous :: 6:17 am ::
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Now what about a 40% increase in my salary?
I'm seriously trying to be stoic over the recent hike in fuel prices. Hell, I didn't even join the mad rush to top up my fuel tank last night. Pointless, considering I've got slightly over 3/4 tank of petrol left from two days ago.
I hate the govt. I'm not going to pretend that I don't.
How can you trust the govt when they LIE to us over and over again. Just before the elections, they promised that they're not not going to hike the fuel prices. After the elections (May 24), they said they're not going to hike the fuel prices
. Then on June 2, Shahrir reported that fuel prices may rise beginning August
And they raised it today.
Remember before the elections (Feb 12), Badawi announced that he wasn't going to dissolve the parliament the next day. Come Feb 13, he dissolved the parliament.
I am so disgusted. If my hamster could speak, she'll probably express her disgust as well. Oh well, perhaps later I shall line her potty with newspaper pictures of Badawi and his henchmen.
Last night on TV3 news, there was a little table comparing the petrol and diesel prices in Malaysia and Singapore. Bloody hell, who is the government trying to cheat? We aren't even earning in the same currency, dammit.
If you're into figures and calculations, this guy
did a pretty good analysis on how our petrol is "subsidised". Maths has never been my forte, but I can roughly figure out that there is no subsidy involved.
Labels: diesel, fuel price hike, Malaysian politics, petrol
Posted by Hedonistics Anonymous :: 11:25 pm ::
Tuesday, June 03, 2008
Blogging is getting boring
Was tailing a dark blue Merc 500SL at the traffic lights when I suddenly wondered what it would be like to own a convertible.
A Dodge Viper to be more precise.
What wouldn't I give to drive a Viper past Soho on a weekend night and whenever I spot a chick who's taller/slimmer/sexier/hotter/whatever than me, I'll flash her the finger and scream, "UP YOURS BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!"
If I ever do strike 6/49, god help those bimbos.
I think one 6/49 not enough. Make it five 6/49s. LOL.
Posted by Hedonistics Anonymous :: 8:08 am ::